Thursday, January 30, 2014

Is Homeschooling in My Future?

No.

No it is not.

So...three days ago, when I knew winter storm/polar vortex/southern blizzard "Leon" was coming, and I was certain school would be cancelled for a couple of days, I thought...hmmm, maybe I should pretend like I'm homeschooling the kids. Maybe I'll be good at it. Maybe it's in my future.

Day 1:
That was a long time ago. I can't remember what we did.

Day 2:
I think we had a crazy cross-eyed cat competition, since I have it recorded on my phone, but I don't remember much else.

Day 3: (Today)
It started like this for my kids,



and with me nestled behind the computer with a cup of coffee, checking emails, FB posts, and news sites. In the back of my mind I had big plans to get the girls going on some math worksheets, but then...I found the comments section on CNN discussing Atlanta's abysmal handling of..."only two inches of snow!"
                   
                     "Those southerners should come up to Jersey for a winter. Maybe if they put              their mobile phones down and stopped texting they could learn how to drive!" -Joe in Jersey
 
                     "It's not that we don't know how to drive in snow. It was all ICE. Two inches of ice and no one was prepared. You northerners would be worse off than us it you had to drive on ice." -Dixie in Atlanta
 
                    "It's the government's fault. The mayor and governor should be held accountable. I'm a transplant from Boston to Atlanta, and I've never seen ice like this!" -Redsox in Atlanta
 
                   "I live in Minnesota and my five year old could drive better in 2 inches of snow than the rest of you rednecks. Put your mobile phones down and stop posting pictures to facebook. Just drive. -George in Minnesota
 
Wait a minute...I have a sneaking suspicion Joe in Jersey and George in Minnesota are the same person. Who uses the phrase 'mobile phone?'. I better look into this. So I scroll through the postings, looking for more comments by Joe and George, because this seems extremely important to me.
 
Mari: Mommy can I have some breakfast now. I'm starving.
Me: Just a minute, baby, I'm doing something really important on the computer.
 
That's when I realized I'd been reading the comments section for over an hour, and I was still  no closer to discovering the true identity of Joe and George. So I nuked some pancakes in the microwave, slapped some butter on them, and tried to find the source of the rotten banana smell wafting through the kitchen.
 
Aha!! The backpacks - which I hadn't opened since they came home from school on Monday afternoon - still had their half eaten/half rotten lunches tucked away inside. You know what else was inside? Homework and books, so they could study for the 8 bazillion tests they have tomorrow.
 
I guess we'll get to the homework soon, but for now the girls are busy laying in my bed watching Netflix...and they look so comfy I just don't want to disturb them.
 
 
Oh yeah, and I promise, before I take them to school tomorrow I'll make sure they take a bath and brush their teeth!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment